Norma Barbacci Preservation Consultants LLC
Since the establishment of Norma Barbacci Preservation Consultants LLC in February of 2017, the following projects have been completed or are in process of being completed:
Fortifications of Portobelo and San Lorenzo, Panama
Consulted with the Inter-American Development Bank and Panama’s National Institute of Anthropology and Culture (INAC) on the conservation and management of the fortifications. Specific tasks included:
- Technical assistance to INAC in the formulation and supervision of the execution of the Terms of Reference (ToRs) related to the consultancy for the development of the specific Management Plan for the Fortifications of Portobelo and San Lorenzo;
- Technical assistance to INAC in the identification of priority actions for the preservation of the Fortifications of Portobelo and San Lorenzo. The assistance focused on supporting the INAC team to identify, detail and pay for all activities to be financed by the program, including investment and institutional strengthening actions;
- Supporting the Bank Team in the design of the intervention strategy, components and activities associated with PN-1146, particularly those related to the rescue, conservation and administration component of the Fortifications of Portobelo and San Lorenzo;
- Supporting the Bank Team in the formulation of all the documents required for the approval of the operation (Project Profile, Operation Development Proposal and its annexes) for PN-L1146, focusing on the aspects related to the Fortifications of Portobelo and San Lorenzo.
Paramaribo Historic Center, Suriname
Advised Inter-American Development Bank and the Suriname Built Heritage Foundation (SBHF) on the prioritization of interventions within the Paramaribo’s Urban Rehabilitation Program. Specific tasks included:
- Technical assistance to SBHF officials and Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to formulate the Terms of Reference related to the consultancy to update the 2011-2015 Management Plan for the Historic Inner City of Paramaribo;
- Technical assistance to the SBHF officials to develop the priority actions defined in the Paramaribo Urban Rehabilitation Program loan operation being formulated by the Bank. The assistance focused on supporting the SBHF officials to identify, detail and finance all activities to be funded by the Program, including investment and institutional strengthening actions;
- Supporting the SBHF in finalizing program execution documents;
- Supporting the Bank Team in the design of the intervention strategy, components and activities associated with SU-L1046, in particular those regarding the rehabilitation, conservation and management of the Historic Inner City of Paramaribo.
Camino de Cruces National Park, Panama
Collaborated with Transworld Explorations S.A. and the Ministerio de Ambiente (MIAMBIENTE) of Panama, in the development of a Public Use Plan for the Camino de Cruces National Park (PNCC). Specific tasks included:
- Recommendations for the public use of the archaeological / historical heritage of the PNCC, from the perspective of conservation;
- Identification of landscape and patrimonial conflicts;
- Elaboration of the policies, principles, vision and objectives of the Public Use Plan, from the perspective of conservation.
Bunce Island Archaeological Site, Sierra Leone
Evaluated existing conditions and helped develop a prioritized scope of work and budget for the rehabilitation and development of the archaeological site of Bunce Island, for Integrated Conservation Resources and the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
Assisted in the preparation of a preservation course based on the study of a neighborhood in Havana Cuba, for The New School, International Affairs Department. Specific tasks included:
- Coordinate preparation of mission to Cuba and set up meetings with OHCH officials;
- Participate in field mission which included meetings and site visits;
- Elaboration of mission report.
Identified potential preservation projects in Havana for World Monuments Fund in collaboration with the Office of the Historian of the City of Havana (OHCH). Specific tasks included:
- Investigate the potential of the OHCH to implement a conservation field project on behalf of WMF, as well as identify a mechanism to handle the financial administration aspects of the project;
- Help WMF identify a generic range of feasible preservation projects in the City of Havana which meet the criteria of WMF’s project selection: significance, urgency and viability;
- Provide a preliminary order of magnitude (related to potential cost) for the range of suggested projects.